Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Water Dancing

It was twilight and fireflys spun through the air.

"Hey look, Acorn," Stump said. His wings were glowing a pale blue in anticipation. "Let's catch one."

Acorn briefly flashed a bright red. He tried feigning disinterest but broke into a wide grin. "Last one to - " 

Stump was already gone darting through the air. Small shouts of joy making their way back to Acorn.

"HEY! Wait for me! You never wait for me! Why didn't you wait for me? Is it glow envy? I bet it's glow envy!" Acorn said. He dashed out after Stump. His small pixie body passing easily under leaves and through gaps in bushes.

The night darkened and the pixies chased the fireflies quickly forgetting their goal. Soon they took to chasing each other, like twin comets  spinning through the air.

With the suddenness of nature's magic, the moon broke free of the clouds. Its light bathed the area, and the pixies stopped, floating in mid air.

The moon's glow revealed a slow flowing river below. The rippling water making the moon's light seem to dance on the water, like liquid light. 

"Acorn, we should head back," Stump said. "Owls will be out. Acorn?"

Acorn was looking down at the water. His red glow mingled with that of the moon upon the water. "Pretty," he said.

"Acorn?"

"I bet we could put on a show. One that would make the girls mouths hang open. Look at that light. Some honey, a girl, and the light . . ."

"Acorn, let's head back."

Acorn dove for the river. He spun in a loop squealing with glee. He flitted above the water, leaving trails of ripples on the suface. He was loosing himself in his dance.

Stump rolled his eyes. It did look fun. Soon he joined Acorn. His pale blue glow joining with Acorn's red.

They skittered and dodged. Dove, rolled, rose, swerved, and paused. Created ever more complicated steps.

It was only after the moon hid behind the clouds did they realize they had an audiance. All along the shore, glowing faintly, floated dozens of pixies. Their colors shaming rainbows.

A golden glow darted out to them. It flew straight to Stump and resolved itself into a beautiful girl.
"May I have the next dance," She asked and blushed.

"Su - " Stump started to say.

"Hey it was my idea!" Acorn said shoving Stump aside. "Why don't you dance with me?"

"I like blue," she said grabbing Stump's hand and flying off.

"What?! Red's far better the blue! I - " Acorn was shouting after them.

"I'll dance with you," said a raspy voice behind Acorn. 

With trepidation he turned around, and saw an elderly pixie. Acorn shivered. "Uh, I don't want to dance? That's it. I. . . uh . . . hurt my foot. Yeah! Ow! Oh.... I better sit this one out..."

"Cute," the crone said and took his hand. The dance had begun.

END.

No comments:

Post a Comment